Chicken Soup with Bird's Nest
Ingredients3-4 pieces Bird's Nest
1 large free-range chicken, cleaned
80g Chinese ham
2 dried red dates
2 thin slices of ginger
*Prepare the Chinese ham in advance by removing all the skin and fats to leave only the meat. Blanch the meat in hot water for 5 minutes to remove any residual oil, and discard the water. Next, using fresh water, boil the meat with ginger slices for 30 minutes to remove salt and other impurities. Finally, cut the meat into 2cm cubes.
Cooking Steps1) Soak Bird’s Nest in a bowl of water for 2-4 hours (or soak overnight in the fridge).
2) Shred the soaked Bird’s Nest into small strands with your hands, and rinse with fresh water.
3) Bring a pot of water (enough to cover the whole chicken) to the boil.
4) Carefully drop in the chicken. Boil for five minutes. This will remove any impurities. Remove the chicken and discard water.
5) Using the same pot, add 1.9L water.
6) Add the chicken, red dates, Chinese ham and ginger.
7) Cover the pot, and bring to a boil over high heat.
8) Reduce the heat to a low flame, and simmer for 4 hours.
9) Remove all the ingredients, leaving only the soup in the pot.
10) Add the Bird’s Nest and continue to simmer for 40 minutes.
11) Add salt to taste and serve hot